master classes by Homero Chavez (USA).
For the first time in Moscow! With the support of SOUNDCHEK, the official distributor of REACE drums in Russia. Within the framework of the International Musical Exhibition "Music Moscow 2008" master classes will be held by the drummer and percussionist, REACE endorser, Homero Chavez (USA).
Master classes will be devoted to the topic "Fundamentals of Latin Rhythm".
Schedule of master classes:
11. 10. 2008 State Musical College of Variety and Jazz Art, Bolshaya Ordynka 27, Beginning at 19-00
12. 10. 2008 State Musical College of Variety and Jazz Art, Bolshaya Ordynka 27, Beginning at 19-00
13. 10. 2008 MONDAY DRUMMER, jazz club "Rey", Novoslobodskaya, 46., metro station, Mendeleevskaya. www.caferay.ru, Beginning at 21-00.
Homero Chavez, drummer, percussionist, instrument designer, clinician and producer. He is currently President of the Percussive Arts Society in California.
Homero is currently promoting his Kotz signature cajon (“Homero Chavez Cajon”) on tour in the US, Mexico, Russia and Canada. He has appeared on the cover of magazines such as Percussive Notes, Percussion News, Latin Beat, Drum, and Modern Drummer. He has written several articles for Percussive Notes and Guitar Magazine. His latest CD "El Canto De La Gente" is highly acclaimed by audiences in the US and Mexico.
Member of the Pomona CA community. Homero Chavez is a drum and percussion associate of the Youth movement. He developed youth programs: The Award Winning Stomp-Kids for the Boys and Girls Club. He also teaches drums and percussion at The Youth Summer Camp at Cal-Poly PDC. He has months of drum and percussion clinic experience at REMO RMC N. Hollywood.
Homero Chavez produced or played drums and percussion on PAS "El Cajon" Pod-casts 007 and 011 "El Cajon Clinic" PASIC 06, NBC production "Giatanas", Michelle Shocked Live at Sta. Monica Pier, Makina Loca Live at Read Sea Jazz Festival, James Hurley CD, Son Mestizo CD, KZ "Live at the Troubadour" CD, Denise Donatelli CD and "El Canto De La Gente" CD, radio and internet broadcasts for Allegiance Telecom and radio transmission from Ricardo Montalban.
Homero has traveled all over the world participating in music events and festivals: Santa Monica Pier Concert Series, Santa Barbara International Percussion Festival, LA County Fair, Cal Poly Pomona DOP, Rainbow Music Festival, El Rey Theater, Ford Theater, KOSA International, NAMM, LAMA DOP, PASIC Austin TX. LACMA, MOLA, The Sierra Nevada Music Fest, Taos World Music Festival, Reggae on the River, One World Music Fest, SOBs, First Avenue, Kimballs Carnaval, Lincoln Center, Dorothy Chandler, Japan American Theatre, Music Machine, Ponana Souk, Luna Park, MCA Chicago, House of Blues, Conga Room, Troubadour, Hot House (Chicago) and others. Homero has performed at the "Agustin Lara Awards", tribute concerts with various Mexican superstars and at The Samsung LPGA Tour Award Ceremony.
International Concerts: Angela Peralta Theater Mexico, Melkweg Holland, Jazzhaus Freiburg Germany, Rasa World Culture Center Utrecht, De Oosterpoort Groningen, Cafe Local Antwerp, Latina Cafe Paris, Placa Del Rei Spain, Festival Internacional La Mar de Musica, Cartagena Spain, Concertgebow' De Vereening' Nijmegen, Bayerischer Hof Munich, Vancouver Jazz Fest, Grec Music Festival de Barcelona Spain, Heimatklange Berlin, New Morning Paris, Radio One Belgium, Music Meeting Holland, Xtra Limmathaus Zurich, Red Sea Jazz Eilat Israel, Slovania TV, Cafe La Kroon Amsterdam TV and others.
The name of the master class is "Fundamentals of Latin Rhythm".
Summary of the master class:
- Intro - solo
- Overview of technique - traditional and parallel setting
- Discussing the choice of sticks and their use in various styles of music
- Demonstration of the selection of different sticks
- Discussion of the Afro-cube clave and its identification in the work. Teaching the interaction of different genres of Latin music.
- Demonstration of the clave in the form of a group of strokes. Clave demonstration on a drum kit
- Discussion on how to place different aspects of the rhythm section on a drum kit, guiro, shaker, congas, chachacha bell, bongo bell, mambo bell, timbale, tumbao